Welcome to another jam-packed issue of DevRel Weekly! This week's issue brings you fantastic podcast episodes, 2 great in-depth resources, an opportunity to participate in a survey, and more.
Stay safe and healthy!
DevRel Weekly Patreon
What Makes a Developer Advocate Great?
Signs of a great Developer Advocate:
- You can list the top pain points of your community with data to back it.
- You can give an unprompted 5-minute product demo at different levels of familiarity.
- You can give as convincing of an argument against the product as for it.
DevRel isn't just talking heads.
It’s important to remember, #DevRel isn’t just talking heads. It’s writing hands, streaming voices. It’s bodies that show up and minds that work together to create a community.
A Platform != Community
Having a Facebook Group for your brand doesn’t mean you have a community. FB Groups is a only a platform, a community-building tool. It takes a lot of time, care, and relationship building to make #community happen.
Community manager tweet of the day: Take risks, test your idea. MVP your strategy. You'll learn more when you actually try, than just staring at a blank clueless screen.
Need a safe option? Speak to 5 community members.
End-to-end community attribution: Quantifying impact from a revenue perspective
I've often heard of attributing certain activities along a customer journey back to Developer Relations, but I'd never heard the term "Community-Attributed Revenue" before reading this article and to be honest, I was skeptical. But what Steven Yum says makes a lot of sense! By tracking who engaged in the community before they appeared in your CRM or Marketing Automation system, you can directly see where your community platforms and programs had an impact in driving revenue. I'll definitely be adding this to my to-do list in the near future!
Two great industry resources launched this past week!
- Gravity - A new industry magazine (print as well as digital!) from Orbit. This first issue is focused on Analytics.
- The Community Engagement Playbook - An ebook packed with 50+ engagement initiatives and projects to try in your community from Commsor.
Communities and organizations: How to ensure a happy marriage?
Many organizations want a community, but that doesn't mean they know how to build (and sustain) one successfully. Peter Staal walks through what this "happy marriage" looks like, as well as some of the pitfalls to watch out for in this recent blogpost
The best at creating technical content for developers and IT leaders. Trusted by Twilio, Salesforce, MongoDB, SolarWinds, and more. Schedule a call now.
The DevRelX Podcast | ex Under the Hood of Developer Marketing | DevRel Podcast
- DevRel is a cost center, yet essential with Michael Heap - The DevRelX Podcast
- Working in DevRel Chat with Nicole van der Hoeven by Gift Egwuenu (video)
- Let's talk about Business Outcome Metrics with Marjorie Anderson - Peers over Beers
- How to Successfully Build and Launch a Global Community with Alexis Brown - The Community Corner
- All about Developer Relations with Maru Ahues Bouza - #AndroidDev Discussions
- Walking into an Established Community and an Existing Culture with Nicole Saunders - Peers over Beers
- Return to Events. Hybrid, IRL, Virtual, or None? (Twitter Space)
- Why Web3 Companies Need DevRel to Survive (Twitter Space)
Take a peek at our list of upcoming events and see if anything jumps out at you. Don’t worry if you don’t see one that sparks your interest right now, we’re constantly adding to the list so check back frequently!
Do you know of something that should be here? Let me know!
As a Developer Advocate at Render, you'll create and implement advocacy strategies that cultivate a growing and engaged developer community around the Render platform. You'll inspire developers and teams to build better products faster through innovative applications that leverage Render's ever-expanding feature set. You'll write code, publish blog posts, engage in technical discussions, and help identify developer needs typically underserved by traditional Platform-as-a-Service cloud solutions.
Raycast makes work frictionless. We're looking for our first Developer Advocate to grow, inspire and empower our community of 4k+ developers. Our community is at the center of our strategy. Developers have built more than 250 extensions with our Extensions API. You'll start hands-on and tackle our most pressing issues. Later, you'll build and lead our Developer Relations team as we grow to support our community even more.
Senior Developer Advocate
Battle Big Tech! Vultr is the independent cloud alternative to AWS, GCP, and Azure. As our Senior Developer Advocate, you'll be the 'face' of Vultr to the developer community, and will be responsible for rich storytelling and content regarding our platform, with special emphasis on Kubernetes, high performance cloud infrastructure, and managed databases.
Developer Relations Jobs
Looking to change your career in the near future? We've been curating jobs for you to make the leap just a little easier. From Entry-Level to Senior Management, there's something for everyone. Come see what piques your interest.