Happy DevRel Weekly Day, folks! I hope you're doing well and excited about new opportunities to connect with your community members. This week's issue includes a few suggestions and tips as well as questions from the broader community industry.
As always, if there are links I'm missing or other content you'd like to see, just let me know!
DevRel Weekly Patreon
Developer advocacy is "simple" 😏
Developer advocacy is simple. You just need skills in engineering, marketing, business development, product management, content creation, and be a skilled communicator, both written and verbal. After that, the job really takes care of itself.
Where do you learn and what are you focusing on?
Developers — What are your most valuable sources of learning? What’s valuable to you that is not in this doodle, such as mentoring? What’s your journey been like this past year?
DevRel folks — What do you find are the most valuable areas of focus for your organization today?
The platform isn't the key
Reminder: the atomic unit of community is relationships.
It doesn’t matter what platform you use.
If you’re helping people build relationships with each other, you’re building community.
Communities are content hubs
Communities are content hubs, don't forget to leverage member-generated content #cmgr
Figure out the best ways to recycle member content for your #community to flourish!
Are you just hanging out? Or is it a community?
Building a community fosters a place where users talk, share, and help each other. Without this, it is just a bunch of users hanging out in the same place.
Image credits go to my colleague Priscilla Parodi, Senior Developer Advocate for the Americas.
What do you think the the “5 Essential Traits” for a Community Manager should be?
I filled out this survey earlier this week and am fascinated to hear what your 5 traits would be as well! I'm in the process of trying to dig up the source of the survey so I can make sure to share the answers when they're posted. If you're responsible for it, please let me know! In the meantime, be sure to submit your top five traits for community management.
Community-led Growth: How Notion Grew a Global Community of Advocates and Influencers
Looking for a great case study of how one particular company is applying product-led growth principles to grow their community? Check out this article from François Dufour about Notion's Community team.
The best at creating technical content for developers and IT leaders. Trusted by Twilio, Salesforce, MongoDB, SolarWinds, and more. Schedule a call now.
DevRel Podcasts and Videos
- How to get a job in DevRel as a beginner with no experience by Ekene Eze (video)
- Using a playbook to scale community initiatives with Stephanie Weiner - Community Conversations
- Community Platform, Customer Onboarding and CMAD with Elizabeth Kinsey - Peers over Beers
- Special Episode: Community Manager Appreciation Day with Katie Ray, Diane Yuen, Jennifer Serrat, Kaleem McGill, and Neha Agarwal - The Community Corner
- Community Management - Past, Present, and Future... CMX London celebrates CMAD! (video)
- DevRel Hiring AMA
- Diversity in Your Community: A 30 Day Challenge by Sitaara Jones - CMX Masterclass (video)
- Listening to Developers with Lorna Mitchell - Scaling Developer Success
- Diversity as a Community Building Block with Nivi Achanta - The Community Corner
- Roles and Responsibilities within Community with Nicole Saunders - Peers over Beers
As the world continues to return to normal, more events are being held; both in-person as well and virtually. Have you seen the latest additions to our Event Collection?
We are an open-source company and the pulse of ZenML's community is our driving force. As a Developer Advocate, you will help us fulfill our mission by connecting with other developers, contributing to open-source, and sharing your knowledge and experience about ZenML and other leading technologies at conferences and meetups, in contributed articles, and on blogs, podcasts, and social media. Your work will foster a community inspired by ZenML and will drive our strategy around developer love and our participation in the open-source ecosystem.
Head of Developer Community
At Ethyca, we believe that privacy is a human right. We recently launched the world's first open-source privacy devtools to help engineers build systems with respect - a Privacy-as-Code approach that was called "astonishing" by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. We're seeking an experienced builder to help grow our fledgling privacy engineering community. You'll have scope to help define the community strategy and test the content, channels, and activations that resonate with our developer audience.
So many DevRel jobs out there. Why Retool?
- Existing strategy and reasonable expectations: craft your charter to do what you do best, show results, and stay sane
- A respectful, collaborative, and highly functional team, including community, docs, DevEx folks
- A product revered by developers and a highly engaged community: harnessing the love is basically low hanging fruit
Developer Relations Jobs
It's a fun time to be in the DevRel industry with new jobs popping up left and right. Everything from Entry Level roles to Senior Manager and everything in between. Have you seen our giant collection of new jobs just waiting to be filled?