For those of you who started a new business quarter this week, I hope things are off to a smooth start! It's been a busy buy exciting first few days for me already and I'm looking forward to what's coming up in the months to come.
This week's issue is a little on the lighter side (what content am I missing out there these days, folks?) but the links are as solid as ever. From open source communities and self-care at conferences to business principles and of course, our standard event and job collections, there should be something for everyone! I'll let you dig in.
DevRel Weekly Patreon
DevRel Advice Column
Folks in #devrel, if I was searching for an extensive report on the "standard of #Devex in the industry" (tooling, APIs, ...), where should I look for?
Community Business Principles
10 Community Business Principles:
- Give more than you take
- Diverse people are at the heart
- Conversations are continuous
- No guilt over making money
- Community is a business strategy
- Relationships are great, but also exhausting
- Design for more than conversations
- Progress and tangible outputs are key
- Ethical leadership is a must
- Communities are regenerative
A Guide for Building Open-Source Communities
Open Source communities are a specific niche of Developer Relations, but many of these communities have been around for longer than DevRel has been recognized as an industry. This step-by-step guide from Ethan Lewis breaks down everything from how to set up an open source project to how to attract your first contributors, building an infrastructure, and then evaluating and iterating as you learn what your community needs.
Self-care for DevRel teams at conferences
Being back to in-person events definitely has its perks, but at the same time, it can take its toll on us! Joanne Johnson has written up some tips for taking care of ourselves and our teams while at conferences. Whether you're deep into conference season already, or looking ahead to the fall, this will help you make the most of the event experience.
DevRel Podcasts and Videos
- What It Takes to Lead DevRel Teams with Cassidy Williams - DevRel(ish) (video)
- After Pulse: Suddenly Unemployed with PJ Hagerty and Wesley Faulkner
- Demonstrate the value of your actions with Rich Millington - DevRel Roundtable (video)
Lots of events are being scheduled for later this year but new stuff keeps popping up for just around the corner! Be sure to check back here often to see what we've added!
Every week we are adding more jobs to our collection! Come see what's new!
p.s. If you're fresh out of college and looking to get started in DevRel, Rahul Khinchi has some tips for you.